Pet Health

Winter Holiday – by Roy Goldman

Hi everyone!

dog, health, vet
Dog asleep, masterpiece from my mommy

I’m Roy (Dr. Goldman’s dog).

I keep hearing my mommy (you know her as your vet Dr. Goldman) reminding everyone what not to give me over the holiday season (or ever…), so here is a quick reminder for everyone (because I’ll feel better knowing I am not the only one being deprived.

My human siblings eat lots of sweets during this time of year, and I try to get into chocolates, cookies and even sugarless gum, but guess what… mommy says all of these are not good for me. Sugarless gum sweetened with Xylitol is toxic to pets! Xylitol is a fake sweetener that makes dogs release extra insulin. Mommy says I could get low blood sugar, and it could be toxic to my liver. To warn my human siblings, she said I might become low energy, stumble around, or even collapse and go into coma. So, no thank you, I’ll pass on the gum.

Fatty, fried or spicy leftovers are also off limits. Mommy says I can get a really bad tummy ache, diarrhea, vomit and even pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is often very painful and can cause me to die.

I should know better…but I still try to jump and grab food off the counter top!

And yes, you guessed it… while everyone else is drinking cocktails, I am not allowed any alcohol! Apparently this is toxic to dog and cats too. Alcohol can move quickly from the blood stream into the brain. It depresses my central nervous system. Dogs are sensitive to alcohol so I can get tipsy with a few sips. If I drink more, I could vomit, get tired and stumble and could even become blind, stop breathing and go into coma.

So, while feeling a bit like I’m missing out on all the fun but also all of the pain, my family did spoil me with some special treats. Mommy says chew toys that are indestructible are fine, so I got a big Kong and she stuffed it with some peanut butter (obviously, the one without Xylitol!). I have to say it was pretty good, although I felt silly for the ridiculous amount of time I’ve spent trying to get all the peanut butter out. The picture is me exhausted…still mad at mom for taking this photo (but it does capture my good side).

Dr. Goldman’s takeaway: don’t give your pets chocolates, cookies, sugarless gum, or anything with Xylitol, fatty, fried or spicy leftovers, and alcohol. For safe fun (yes, it’s a real thing), give treats such as peanut butter in toys such as a big Kong.

Please call 416.292.7804 or email to book an appointment if you have any questions. Also, you can share my post to help other pets have a safe and fun winter holiday (or at least help me feel less bad for being deprived of eggnog).

– Milliken Animal Clinic | 宠物医院