Pet Health

Guess what I got for the New Year… Part…

Hi everyone!

Roy here (Dr. Goldman’s dog)! As some of you may know, I am just recovering from my New years celebrations and ear infection…

In my last blog I described how itchy and painful it was when I got an ear infection. I was also complaining about how my mom tortured me with swabbing my ears to see what kind of bugs were in there, but she did it to help me get better.

I was so itchy and disgusted to hear I had lots of yeast in my ears, but started to feel much better after starting the medicated ear drops.

We had a couple of elementary school students (future vets and vet nurses!) tour the clinic the other day and they were so excited to hear about how Dr. Goldman, my mom, helped me get better and she showed them ear cytology (i.e what we see under the microscope after we swab infected ears and use a special stain on the microscope slide). So I figured, I’ll quiz my readers about the different bugs!

Ready?

  1. These guys appear as a snow man under the microscope. There can be one or two per slide or many as you can see on this slide. What are they?
  2. These guys have a cigar shape and they are usually found in younger dogs and cats. They make the animal super itchy. I am itchy just looking at this picture. Have you guessed what they are?
  3. There’s a big party on this slide! These guys will also make the animal itchy and uncomfortable. The ears might be smelly too. What are they?

Answers

1. Yeast

 

 

 

 

 

 

2. Ear Mites

 

 

 

 

 

 

3. Bacteria

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dr. Goldman’s takeaway: Ear infections can make your pet suffer pain and itching. Getting veterinary care early will help your pet get better faster. All ear bugs cause similar symptoms. So that’s why it’s important for us to get a swab of the ear to identify the cause of the infection. In many cases, if treated early, we can resolve an ear infection within 14 days or less. In more complicated cases or cases that have been going on for a while, we might need to do more tests, like swabbing for culture & sensitivity to identify the bacteria so we can give the medicine (antibiotics) that will cure the infection.

You can call 416.292.7804 or email vets@millikenvet.com to book an appointment with Dr. Goldman if you have any questions about ears, infections, or anything else for your dog or cat.

Milliken Animal Clinic | 宠物医院

Pet Health

Winter Holiday – by Roy Goldman

Hi everyone!

dog, health, vet
Dog asleep, masterpiece from my mommy

I’m Roy (Dr. Goldman’s dog).

I keep hearing my mommy (you know her as your vet Dr. Goldman) reminding everyone what not to give me over the holiday season (or ever…), so here is a quick reminder for everyone (because I’ll feel better knowing I am not the only one being deprived.

My human siblings eat lots of sweets during this time of year, and I try to get into chocolates, cookies and even sugarless gum, but guess what… mommy says all of these are not good for me. Sugarless gum sweetened with Xylitol is toxic to pets! Xylitol is a fake sweetener that makes dogs release extra insulin. Mommy says I could get low blood sugar, and it could be toxic to my liver. To warn my human siblings, she said I might become low energy, stumble around, or even collapse and go into coma. So, no thank you, I’ll pass on the gum.

Fatty, fried or spicy leftovers are also off limits. Mommy says I can get a really bad tummy ache, diarrhea, vomit and even pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is often very painful and can cause me to die.

I should know better…but I still try to jump and grab food off the counter top!

And yes, you guessed it… while everyone else is drinking cocktails, I am not allowed any alcohol! Apparently this is toxic to dog and cats too. Alcohol can move quickly from the blood stream into the brain. It depresses my central nervous system. Dogs are sensitive to alcohol so I can get tipsy with a few sips. If I drink more, I could vomit, get tired and stumble and could even become blind, stop breathing and go into coma.

So, while feeling a bit like I’m missing out on all the fun but also all of the pain, my family did spoil me with some special treats. Mommy says chew toys that are indestructible are fine, so I got a big Kong and she stuffed it with some peanut butter (obviously, the one without Xylitol!). I have to say it was pretty good, although I felt silly for the ridiculous amount of time I’ve spent trying to get all the peanut butter out. The picture is me exhausted…still mad at mom for taking this photo (but it does capture my good side).

Dr. Goldman’s takeaway: don’t give your pets chocolates, cookies, sugarless gum, or anything with Xylitol, fatty, fried or spicy leftovers, and alcohol. For safe fun (yes, it’s a real thing), give treats such as peanut butter in toys such as a big Kong.

Please call 416.292.7804 or email vets@millikenvet.com to book an appointment if you have any questions. Also, you can share my post to help other pets have a safe and fun winter holiday (or at least help me feel less bad for being deprived of eggnog).

– Milliken Animal Clinic | 宠物医院